Thursday, October 4, 2007

At Home with Gwyneth Paltrow - Behind the Scenes

As I mentioned earlier this week, I love photography and always check the photography credits in magazines. Another favorite photographer of mine is Eric Cahan. You may not have heard of his name but you have surely seen his work. He recently shot Patricia Herrera Lansing and Carolyn Murphy for House and Garden which I loved and had to post on my blog. Eric apparently googles himself quite often because he always seemed to know when I profiled his work and was one of the first people to leave me a comment. He was also and still is very encouraging and supportive of my blog from the very beginning. I joked it was just because I kept featuring his work but I really appreciated his kind words. So my loyalty and hard word was rewarded this week when Eric offered me a peak behind the scenes of the photo shoot!

I think it is so much fun to see the different set ups and how they resulted in the final photos like the cover shot at the top and the photo above. Notice how they changed out the artwork? The three soft-focus works by photographer by David Armstrong usually hang above the fireplace below.

And the two sunrise pieces usually hang above the little sofa...or maybe it's the other way around. Who knows?! See how stylists move things around in order to get the best photo. Very tricky!

Eric works his magic on the cover girl in the next two photos while Gwyneth practices her poses.

Below, Ms. Paltrow checks out some of the photos on the laptop. It used to be that photographers shot on film and never knew what they had until it was developed back in the darkroom. As you know, all that has changed in the digital age. Now the photographer as well as the editors, and in this case, the model and home owner, can check out the photos immediately and make any necessary changes or adjustments.

It's also fun to get too see the large painting that didn't make it into the final magazine feature. I wonder who it's by. Any guesses?

Decisions decisions. Wonder what they are discussing! Look at how many people and equipment it takes to make it all happen!

And look who wanted to get in on the fun. First she tackled the interior design of her own home and now it looks like we might have a budding photographer on our hands!

Is there anything she can't do??? I hate her! Just kidding! I love her! She's fabulous and so is Eric Cahan! I'm working on trying to repay his generosity by having him shoot one of our celebrity clients. I really hope it happens so I can get my own first hand account of the behind the scenes action of a photo shoot. Until then, I hope you enjoyed this sneak peak into what it takes to create your favorite magazine!

Photos courtesy of Eric Cahan

No comments:

Post a Comment