Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Be Mine

I don't have a Valentine this year (certainly not from a lack of trying) but I'm vowing to enjoy the day anyway inspite of this fact and thought I would put together a little gift guide anyway.

If you are feeling really indulgent and want to buy your sweetheart something fabulous that also benefits a good cause, check out Sotheby's Red Auction on February 14th where you can bid on love related art from Damien Hirst, Jeff Koons, Cecily Brown and Sir Peter Blake pictured above. All proceeds of the sale will go to the United Nations Foundation to support HIV/AIDS relief programs in Africa.


Of course, you could always buy your significant other some flowers but might I suggest something more original than the usual cliche of long stemmed red roses. In fact, I hate red roses. I actually received a bouquet last year and although it was a very thoughtful gesture, it also meant he knew nothing about me. If I am required to know when his favorite sports teams are playing, why can't he take a minute to ask me what kind of flowers I like. Anyway, you can never go wrong with pink peonies or cabbage roses. Even a bouquet of hyacinths would be pretty. Believe me, think outside the box on this one!


There is no better joy in life than chocolate and if you've never tasted a Teuscher Champagne Truffle, you haven't lived! They are one of my favorites and always make a great present any time of year! But if you can't find them in your area, Marie Belle and Vosges are great alternatives. At this point, I'd settle for a Reese's Peanut Butter Heart, my ultimate guilty pleasure.





If you're single and bitter this Valentine's Day, then I suggest you check out this Love is Lame t-shirt. It might be too late to buy it to wear tomorrow, but there's always next year. Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment