Sunday, March 23, 2008

Habitually Chic Chanel

I was very excited to read recently that they are making a mini-series about the life of Coco Chanel with Shirley MacLaine, above, playing the designer in her later years. I was not as excited to hear that the series will air on Lifetime Television. One comment on Jezebel summed up my feelings about this best, "A Lifetime miniseries? Are they going to have Coco be stalked by a ex-husband while fighting an eating disorder and taking vengeance on the woman who stole her identity and the babysitter who seduced her man?" But if you know anything about Chanel's hard-knock life, this actually isn't that far fetched. As MacLaine states, "What's wonderful about her is she's not a straightforward, easy woman to understand. She was born into poverty and would do anything to keep from going broke again."

I love reading biographies of inspiring women like Chanel so I might have to finally finish Axel Madsen's biography Chanel: A Woman of Her Own before I watch the mini-series. Her story might be the kick in the pants I need to get some of my business ideas off the ground too!

Mademoiselle Chanel lived at the Ritz but she kept an apartment at 31 Rue Cambon to entertain which is also inspiring as it looks exactly the same today as it did when she was alive! If walls could talk, just imagine the stories they could tell! C'est magnifique! Now if I can just imagine I'm watching a normal channel when the mini-series airs and not Lifetime, I'll be all set!




No comments:

Post a Comment