Saturday, March 1, 2008

Tables by Alexandra Von Furstenberg

I heard Alexandra Von Furstenberg was launching a line of furniture a few months ago but couldn't find any information until now. For the few of you who don't know, Ms. Von Furstenberg is one of the Miller sisters and was formerly married to Diane Von Furstenberg's son. She is well bred and well traveled so I was interested to see what she would come up with but must admit that I am disappointed. According to the New York Times, her collection is made up of "sculptural high-gloss plastic tables that are injected with neon colors and named after diamonds (and priced like diamonds, too)" from $7,000 to $60,000!


I see where she was going with it. She said, "It's the same thing everywhere: the same handbag, the same painting hanging on the wall, the same car. I wanted to make something in limited editions with love." But I don't feel like she has a handle on the mood now. And I don't mean trends, I mean the mood of what's going on in the country. We're going through a recession now and people are spending more time at home. They want a space that is cozy and embraces them in a big hug. They don't want to come home to furniture that looks like they might poke them in the eye or cut their shin. I think that's why people have responded so positively to the interiors in Atonement and now Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Not to mention the fact that the tables cost more than some cars. I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment