Wednesday, April 22, 2009

2009 Kips Bay Show House Designer: Lichten Craig

Right next to Kathy Abbott's room at the Kips Bay Decorator Show House is a wonderfully chic sitting room and bedroom by Lichten Craig. I know I sound like a broken record but I really loved this room too! I think the fact that Lichten Craig is an architecture and design firm is the reason that their room is full of so many wonderful details, starting with the sitting room floor. When I was reading over their notes, I was amazed to find out that the custom oak floor in the radiating squares pattern was finished and cut off site! I guess they definitely measured twice and cut once since it looks beautiful and sets the stage for the dramatic double door entrance into the bedroom.

What I noticed about the door were not only the square polished nickel hardware that the doors were built around but also the sleek Art Deco Olive Knuckle hinges from Von Morris. I also appreciated that all the screws on the hinges lined up as well. It's that attention to detail that will set a great architect or designer apart from the rest!

I also love that in the land of McMansions and cavernous bedrooms that this one feels cozy when you close the doors. I think it would make a perfect guestroom. The 1950's abstract painting is second in the show by Steven Pace. The other is in Donald Schermerhorn's room. It works well with the art in the sitting room which includes another abstract painting not seen in these photos.

What I thought was wallpaper is actually a silk cut velvet in a faux bois pattern from Schumacher that was used to upholster the walls. I have to tell you that I normally do not like cut velvet or faux bois ("fake wood") but it looks great in this room. I'm also impressed when a designer can make me think twice about something I would have usually written off. The unglazed bisque double gourd lamps are by everyone's favorite potter, Christopher Spitzmiller. I love the symmetry of the windows, lamps, bedside tables and benches at the end of the bed.

I think future Kips Bay Decorator Show Houses are going to have a lot to live up to since this one seems to be one of the best in many years. I am so happy that it introduced me to so many wonderful designers and I can't wait to check out the Lichten Craig website to see what other chic homes they have created!

No comments:

Post a Comment