Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I Am Love: Villa Necchi Campiglio

I saw the Italian film I Am Love this past weekend and it was as gorgeous as I thought it would be. I'm not sure the actual story will appeal to everyone but it's worth seeing for the beautiful interiors. The Recchi family live in Milan in a fabulous villa that is actually the Villa Necchi Campiglio. As you can see by some of the photos, the producers took out some of the furnishings for a sleeker look befitting an "haute bourgeoisie" family. The Villa Necchi Campiglio was constructed from 1932-1935 by Milanese architect Piero Portaluppi in a style that is referred to as rationalism but also continues on with many luxurious details of the Art Deco period. I really loved all the woodwork, sliding doors and built-ins in the film and especially the lower level kitchen area. There seemed to be a bit of an upstairs/downstairs theme going on in the movie which was interesting as well. In the film, there was also a gate house that guests had to enter before walking up to the main house which creates a courtyard for the pool and garden in the front of the house. Definitely not what we're used to in the US but absolutely gorgeous! Villa Necchi Campiglio is open to the public and I definitely suggest that you put it on your list of places to see when visiting Milano! Ciao!














No comments:

Post a Comment